I don't write poetry much anymore. This is my first one this year. It has to do with Ferguson and the related incidents. It is a plea for peace through understanding and empathizing with one another.
Waking Up To The News
I woke up
to the news, and
appraised how
much was real, how
much was hype.There
was a surprising chill,
much was hype.There
was a surprising chill,
rare in
news today.
America had
stirred,
while I was
safe
in a dreamless
sleep.
Most news
today is just
an ad for argument.
an ad for argument.
This was
too,
at least, almost, except that
guns were now backing up the insults.
at least, almost, except that
guns were now backing up the insults.
It's a
little hard to say just what
was
happening; There were two fronts,
angry and evidently, attempting
to break
into or break out of an understated wall.
To this
evaluation,
I'd like to
add
of ions in
the air,
heavy static.
And then,
just
a few cold drops
of rain before
a second
storm.
Now much
more wind
and dissonant
chimes,
lightning
blasts from cameras
and a few
guns.
A familiar
scene,
almost,
except that
it
was now
spilling out in pieces
of cold blue light,
and foreign.
I have an uneasy truce with emotion.
I'd rather
reason,
but sometimes
reason comes up dry,
or at least
it doesn't absorb truth
fast
enough, and leaves you all alone
in complex of
situations.
Anyway,
what was happening now
was all
about feeling,
and I'm
proud to say, I felt it.
I mean, "it doesn't take a weatherman
I mean, "it doesn't take a weatherman
to know" that indifferent facades
often conceal pain, thirst for respect,
more than shattered dreams
and empty hopes, and that
people caught in unrelenting heat
and empty hopes, and that
people caught in unrelenting heat
that only and continually meet
frigid response,will,
eventually, rational or not, rally and
pour their pain out on the streets
in bitter drops
frigid response,will,
eventually, rational or not, rally and
pour their pain out on the streets
in bitter drops
It was a
single incident in time
where
history did not repeat, again,
just rhymed.
(Thank you , Twain.)
But, underestimated
agony
can
immediately precede a revolution
if
unaddressed. A simple solution ignored
can
turn into a mess that decades,
Don't get
me wrong, now.
I'm just
speaking of the past, but
it's usually better to write the future now,
before it
happens.
Revising history, once it's written,
is a messy
task, and can take years!
All I'm saying is, right now, the future
is only somewhat written, but pretty blank,
I mean compared
to, say, waiting
until
there's a knock upon the door at the Bastille.




No comments:
Post a Comment